Saturday, April 12, 2014

Top Ten Favorite Nail Designs

Anyone who knows me understands that I have been obsessed with doing my nails for a very long time. For as long as I can remember, I have done my nails once a week, every week. I can't stand to have chipped nails or cracking nail polish so once a week they must be done, no matter what. It wasn't until about two years ago though that I really started getting into nail art. Since my blog is new, but my obsession is old, I thought I would share my top ten nail art favorites from the past.


1. Multi Colored Leopard Print
This is probably the first true nail art that I really did. Before this, I had probably experimented with some other designs, but none were really successful. This design was created using nail art pens that my mom bought. I guess it was those pens that gave me the courage to try some nail art, but I have since found that I am able to successfully do nail designs without them.




2. Zebra Print
After trying out leopard print, I was of course anxious to try my hand at zebra print. I had used the Sally Hansen Salon Effects polish strips to have zebra print nails before, but I wanted to be able to create them on my own. I used black acrylic paint and a small paint brush to carefully paint zebra stripes on my nails.




3. Pink Zebra Print
Since the first zebra print design turned out so well, I decided to try it again. This time I paired it with my favorite color, 24/7 by Sinful Colors. I really liked the way the zebra print looked with the hot pink.




4. Blue and Gray Chevron
Sometime last year, I discovered how to make a template for chevron nails with pinking shears and tape. I had been wanting to do a Chevron Mani for a long time because I had fell in love with chevron stripes. This was not my first time doing chevron (which did turn out well), but I really liked how well the gray paired with the light blue in this design. I liked it so much that I did my toes to match. For this design I used What's with the Cattitude (blue) and French Quarter for Your Thoughts (gray), both by OPI.





5. Polka Dots
This design from last summer was the first time that I tried polka dots. I was worried that doing full polka dots would be too much to handle so I decided to do it on only one finger of each hand. I have since done polka dots on all my nails and really like it. However, when I don't feel like doing ALL that work, I will do polka dots like this. The coral color I used was Flip Flop Fantasy by China Glaze.




6. Gray Chevron
This design was from last fall. I was wanting to do chevron, but I didn't want to do anything too bright because that wouldn't have been season appropriate. So I decided to do it with gray. This gray is the same color as the above chevron. However, this time I wanted to try the chevron free-hand for the first time. It wasn't as perfect as using a template, but it was a lot faster and I was happy how it turned out. The best part of this design was that I was able to create an outfit that matched, all the way down to the sparkle on my jeans and shoes! Again, those of you who know me also know I love to match.




7. Penguins and Polka Dots
This design is from last Christmas. I had been getting up the courage to try a penguins since the year before and I finally decided to try it. I thought penguins would be too hard to do on all my nails so I decided to do polka dots on all the other nails and alternate between red and green to bring in some Christmas flair. I also did a YouTube tutorial on this design which is linked beneath the picture. 






8. Christmas Lights
To keep in the Christmas spirit after my penguin nails, I did some Christmas lights. I used acrylic paint to do the wire and nail polish and a dotting tool to do the lights.




9. New Year's Eve Mani
Around Christmas time I had gotten a gorgeous gold glitter, My Favorite Ornament by OPI, that I really wanted to use. So I paired it with black to create a New Year's Eve look. I used tape to create the gold triangles. I actually filmed a tutorial on it, but got really sick and was unable to finish it. I plan to finish it and post it for next New Year's.




10. Valentine's Mani
This design is from this past Valentine's day. I put loose pink glitter over pink polish to create a really glittery effect. I made the heart by painting a heart with nail polish on a plastic baggie. When the heart dried, I peeled it off with tweezers and stuck it on my nail. 




I hope you enjoyed my top ten nail art favorites. Stay tuned for more nail art posts!











No comments:

Post a Comment